We don’t currently have a Regional Coordinator for Southland, so if you’d like to get involved, have any queries or ideas for Seaweek 2017 please contact the National Coordinator: Mels Barton – email email@example.com or phone 021 213 7779.
Seaweek 2017 Events:
- Fiordland Marine Guardians Community Forum – Thursday 23 February 2017
- Oreti Beach Clean Up – Monday 27 February 2017
Image: Sustainable Coastlines
Monday 27 February 2017, 10.30 – 11.30am at Oreti Beach, Southland.
Hosted by Sarah Downie MP. I am proud to support Seaweek 2017 and host a clean-up at Oreti Beach. Please join me on Monday 27 February 2017 at Oreti Beach from 10.30am – 11.30am. Please dress warmly.
Thursday 23 February 2017 from 5-7pm at SHOP5 Function Centre – Rocks Café, 101 Dee Street, Courtville Place, Invercargill.
The Guardians want to know what matters to you when it comes to the future of the Fiordland Marine Area. We invite you to join us to share your thoughts, observations, values and concerns about this precious part of the world. Through a mix of a panel Q&A session and more casual mingling, we hope you’ll learn a bit more about the work we do in the area, and in turn we’ll learn from you. Your input will help us to direct our efforts in the future.
We’d appreciate your views on some matters that we’ve been grappling with lately:
• Growth in tourism / visitor numbers
• Pest Pathways Plan / invasive species
• Whether there is a place for aquaculture in Fiordland
• How to engage more effectively with the community
Our 2015/16 Annual Report gives comprehensive insight into our recent efforts. It can be downloaded from www.fmg.org.nz or contact Anne McDermott on email: firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: 0274 804 995.
Topics covered in the annual report include:
• Changes to the Guardians membership
• Re-opening of Doubtful Sound recreational blue cod fishery after 10 years
• Presentation of the Fiordland Marine Pathways Plan to Environment Southland Councillors
• Exploration of deep water habitats in Fiordland and marine reserve monitoring
• New Zealand Navy and joint agency visit to Fiordland
• Guardians visit to the Beehive
• Heritage New Zealand Listings in Fiordland
• The ongoing response to eradicate Undaria from Sunday Cove
• Submissions on the new Marine Protected Areas Act
• Meridian Energy Monitoring Programme Review
We look forward to catching up with you all on Thursday 23rd February.
Rebecca, Jon, Anne, Ken, Stewart, Kerri-Anne, Jerry and Mark (The Fiordland Marine Guardians)